Garment type stayed on a relatively even keel throughout the weeks; there was a downturn in neck accessories and a corresponding upturn in cardigans due to Twist Collective; this issue was heavily garment based, with 12 cardigans alone out of the 28 patterns. In general, however, neck accessories regained a little bit of the ground they lost in the last edition. Though it just didn't make the graphing cut of averaging 1 per data collection time (averaging .9), men's garments were also strong this time around, due to the afore-mentioned calendar from Kate Jackson. Several Stephen West projects have stayed on the front page over the last few days, adding to the men's average. Though men's garments made this strong showing, the top nine garment categories remained the same as in previous editions.
Yarn type also remained relatively constant, with a slight downturn in solid yarns and a slight upturn in semi-solids. Neither of these seem to be tied to specific publications; there seemed to be an even distribution of both in the publications listed above, so any changes could be completely organic. There was a small spike in 2-color projects around April 18th; again, this seemed organic, with a lack of cohesion between the projects, indicating that they weren't present due to a blog or forum post on a specific topic.
Modeled garments spiked due to Twist Collective, with a corresponding drop in items modeled on dressforms. Even with this change, the trends varied little over the two week period: there was only a slight climb in modeled garments overall. This stasis continues to indicate a default preference for modeled garments, but I look forward to exploring it further throughout the year.
There were some interesting changes in the color statistics; blues remain strong but continue a downturn, while reds and greens have recovered from their drop last time and are climbing slowly. Grey and white also rose. This is an interesting combination of themes; we have the strong colors of on one hand and the neutrals on another. I will be interested to see where both of these trends go once the weather finally makes up its mind here in the northern hemisphere. There were also a few spikes in black throughout the weeks, both as part of two- or three-color garments and individually, and across fabric types. Black is a tricky color to photograph and capture detail, so it takes a bold designer to work with it.
In conclusion, a calm couple weeks in
An interesting thing to note is that neck accessories have remained strong for at least three years now, with a clear majority of the patterns on the page and a growth of almost 10%. Cardigans and pullovers have also gained ground over time, going from a total of 24% to 34%. Concurrent with what we all know of knitting trends, socks have dropped drastically, from 19% to just 3%. Interestingly, it seems that fewer pattern categories were represented then, but the minorities (mitts, kid's, and vests then; cowls, socks, kid's, homegoods, hats, and vests now) hold almost the same percentage of the page: 19% then and 20% now. This indicates that, while the broad focus is on a specific few garment types, the variety in the less prominent types has increased. Whether this is change in popularity or in production is something I'm hoping to explore further later on.
That's it for this time--what trends have you been watching over the last couple weeks?