Thursday, August 9, 2012

Medomak and the New England Fiber Arts Retreat

I got back from teaching at the New England Fiber Arts Retreat on Saturday afternoon, and I'm pretty sure I left most of my heart up there.  Here's a view of the week in pictures:


the view of the walk up to the cabin I shared with three of my best friends

the four--count 'em, four--Stephen West Mystery shawls in progress at camp

working on the community weaving project

a panel from Dana's rigid heddle-woven blanket

another kind of spinning--we met lots of rather amazing spiders this week

visiting Cloud Hollow alpaca farm

Rachel's natural dyeing class--indigo as it begins to oxidize

midway through . . .

fully oxidized!

a visit to Katharine Cobey's studio

a view from the loft.  I never wanted to leave.

Untitled
 see why?

fogged-in cove, gorgeous studio, knitting goddess, standard poodles--yeah, I'm happy

Rachel's yarn for the week, both handspun and naturally dyed


the varied and wonderful results of the needle felted sheep class

some of the amazing felted bowls we made on the last day




These felted bowls, one of the best classes I've ever taught, summed up the week for me.   We all had the same materials and the same time, but the finished pieces were all wildly different, and all absolutely gorgeous.  Everyone's experience at camp was completely different, but I'm pretty sure that none of us would trade it for anything.  Next year we'll be meeting up from July 28th to August 3rd.  There is nothing that will stop me from being there, and I'm already counting the days.  Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures, Bristol! Looks lovely and rainy, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the horrifically late reply--don't worry, I'm kicking myself pretty hard for letting comments build up this long without response. It was indeed a lovely, calm, rainy week--I think you'd love it and fit right in!

      Delete