Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: A Year in. . . Other People's Knits

One of the coolest things about being a designer is seeing how other people interpret your designs. Sure, I'm used to being able to write something down and have it work for me. But it still amazes me that, when someone else knits it, it actually works for them, too. I suppose at some point this will stop being a glee-inducing experience, but man, is it still the coolest now! To that end, I decided to highlight some of my favorite projects from Ravelry from my designs. (All photos are copyright their owners, of course!)

Bristol's Cowl:

Lara's gorgeous version uses one of my favorite Quince colors, Bird's Egg.

And Jenn's elegant version uses another Quince favorite, Frank's Plum.

And I would be remiss if I didn't brag on my students at Medomak, who were all knitting along on their cowls merrily by the end of the week:


Earl Grey Mitts:


Ani and Martha's gently toned and sea-colored versions are both seriously beautiful, and both make use of the luminous and color-shifting qualities of Noro. I want a pair in Noro for myself!

Ness's pair make use of a commercially spun alpaca yarn and a thick and thin handspun in my favorite color; you can read more about them at her blog.

Lida Shawl:

Rachel's beautifully knit, blocked, and photographed version uses the recommended yarn, Quince's Sparrow.


G's Lida uses MadTosh in the color 'Grove', the very name of which would make me swoon even if her knitting hadn't.


Nadia's luscious version was the first completed after the pattern came out, and she knit it out of cashmere/silk. Enough said.

Karen's vivid and summery version was knit in Malabrigo Sock in the colorway "Lettuce" and had me at "chartreuse".


And Taryn's ethereal version made me think of sunbeams and fresh orange juice.

Delius Vest:


Okay, I'm going to cheat a little here, since I technically finished my dad's version of this in February and have to share!

Tricia knit her excellent (and what seems to be well-loved!) version from Peace Fleece, which, of course, I love.


Juliet's sleek and classic version was knit from Quince's Lark in Peacoat; all versions of the pattern that I swatched were in tweed yarns, so I love this different interpretation! Plus, you know, I love Quince yarns.


And Sarah's version isn't quite finished, but I love it already, because it's knit in Brooklyn Tweed's Shelter, another favorite!

Thank you to to everyone who let me show off their projects and their photos here, and thanks to everyone who has knit one of my patterns this year. I am truly blessed to be able to work in this industry, and can only look forward to what 2012 will bring. Happy new year!

7 comments:

  1. Those Lidas are BEAUTIFUL! I don't remember if I queued it the other day...so I'm off to do so now for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for featuring my Lida. It was my favourite knit of 2011, the yarn and pattern combination are perfect! All the best to you for the New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lida is on my to-do list for 2012-- my favorite Bristol Ivy design-- so far :) Congratulations on a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need another Lida, just for the fun to knit it :) it's a gorgeous pattern !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Lida shawl!! happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! I will admit that there's definitely at least one more Lida in my future as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again


    House, Flats for Sale in Bristol

    ReplyDelete